The school soccer season is formally upon us!
Whereas Week Zero offered us with a seven recreation appetizer final weekend, it’s nothing in comparison with the 88 recreation banquet Week One has in retailer for us from Thursday by way of Labor Day Monday.
Here’s a breakdown of what the schedule has in retailer for us, together with some rivalry video games, some should watch video games, and not less than one matchup with School Soccer Playoff implications.
• 42 of the 88 matchups embrace a Soccer Championship Subdivision (FCS) group in opposition to a Soccer Bowl Subdivision (FBS) group, almost half of all of this weeks video games.
• 28 of the 88 video games embrace a Group of 5 group visiting a Energy 5 opponent.
• Solely six video games out of the 88 whole matchups embrace a Energy 5 group touring to tackle a Group of 5 opponent.
• Amazingly, solely 10 of the 88 video games on the docket for this weekend embrace two Energy 5 groups taking up one another to begin the season, most of that are convention video games.
REUNITED…AND IT FEELS SO GOOD!
Here’s a listing of the video games which are happening not less than 30 years from the earlier collection assembly:
• Tennessee vs. Virginia – Final met in 1991, a 23-22 Volunteer victory. Tennessee leads the collection 3-1.
• West Virginia at Penn State – Final met in 1992, a 40-26 Nittany Lion triumph. Penn State leads the collection 48-9-2.
• Nevada at USC – Final met in 1929! USC leads the collection 5-0 and received the earlier matchup 66-0.
• Stanford at Hawaii – Final met in 1972, a 39-7 win for Sanford who leads the collection 3-0.
• Miami (Ohio) at Miami – Final met in 1987 when Jimmie Johnson was the top coach, a 54-3 beatdown. The “U” leads the battle for Miami supremacy 3-0.
• Utah State at Iowa – 48-7 was the ultimate rating of the final assembly in 2002, a Iowa win. They lead the collection 2-0.
• Texas Tech at Wyoming – The Crimson Raiders received the final assembly 49-32 however path within the all time collection, 3-2.
Whereas Week One offers viewers with many matchups which have taken place not less than as soon as earlier than, viewers will nonetheless get handled to 5 matchups which have by no means been seen by soccer followers earlier than! These video games embrace:
- East Carolina at Michigan
- Fresno State at Purdue
- UMass at Auburn
- Coastal Carolina at UCLA
- Sam Houston State at BYU
- Toledo at Illinois
Nebraska Cornhuskers at Minnesota Golden Gophers
$5 Bits of Damaged Chair trophy “A Rivalry Rebroken”
Probably the most distinctive rivalry trophies in all of school soccer, the $5 Bits of Damaged Chair trophy was created solely by followers on Twitter and continues to at the present time. You will discover the historical past of the trophy here.
Not solely will this recreation be a promote out, Gold out crowd in Minneapolis, it’s going to even be the primary recreation for head Husker Matt Ruhle. He’ll be enjoying for a trophy he in all probability doesn’t understand exists as a result of neither faculty has formally acknowledged it, regardless of a “Chair-ity” auction that accompanies the sport annually.
South Carolina vs. North Carolina
The “Battle for the Actual Carolina” takes place at Financial institution of American Stadium in Charlotte, N.C., on Saturday pitting UNC QB Drake Maye, who begins his quest for the Heisman trophy, in opposition to South Carolina QB Spencer Rattler. who has Heisman aspirations of his personal.
THREE GAMES TO WATCH
Nebraska at Minnesota
Thursday, Aug. 31 – 8 pm ET, FOX
This Energy 5 vs. Energy 5 matchup features a promote out, Gold out crowd in Minneapolis that welcomes new Head Husker Matt Ruhle. The Gophers, in the meantime, open their first full season with Athan Kaliakmanis beneath heart. These two have performed loads of good video games currently and contains bragging rights to the $5 Bits of Damaged Chair Trophy.
Colorado at (17) TCU
The Deion Sanders period begins in opposition to the 2022 season runner-up in TCU. Can Coach Prime’s switch portal roster pull off an upset in Week One? Loads of folks can be tuning in to search out out.
Saturday, Sept. 2 – Midday ET, FOX
(5) LSU vs. (8) Florida State
Two powerhouse applications meet at Tenting World Stadium in in Orlando, Fla., in a recreation that can have School Soccer Playoff implications.
Sunday, Sept. 2 – 7:30pm ET, ABC